Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A day of Day Tripping


Wake up this morning thinking "what a great day for a day trip to Burg Eltz Castle". Not a great day to trip down my stairs. These stairs turn at a 360˚ and every morning we all hang on to the railing for our lives. I have heard Ben fall down the stairs (he said he tripped on something..I don't think so). So as I come down the ( smaller than my foot) stairs and I trip, slip, fall, whatever you want to call it. Kayla caught me at the bottom after I slid down over 1/2 of the stairs. My poor kids are crying and thinking I have just died. I try and tell them I am fine just a few bruises, thats all. Stupid stairs!
So as we get ready for my big trip the kids get my cane. They think that I fell because of my one bad leg, I tell them no, not my leg was not the problem, just my big feet and slippery socks. But I take the cane with me anyway to make them feel better.
We drive our 2 hour drive and get to the Castle parking lot (that I found all by myself, understood 150 euro to park and where to park from the elderly parking attendant, thank you very much).
We walk to the path to the castle and I ask a man beside a van how far to the castle. He says it is a 800 meter walk, forgets to tell us that it is also straight down on wet pavement. Kids are holding onto me for dear life thinking that I am going to crash. But no, not me...Kayla is the first to go down sliding. She gets up brushes herself off and we keep going. Then Emilee goes face first down landing on her belly. At the same time the Van that we saw at the top of the mountain starts driving down and has to stop as I pick up Emilee to get her out of the way. He makes sure she is ok, then continues with passengers in the van. Kayla yells "we could have taken the VAN DOWN"! Like how would we know that. I tell Kayla, we will get him on the way up I promise.
So after a wonderful tour of the Burg Eltz Castle we took the van up for 5 euro and saved our shins!

2 comments:

  1. Those stairs are scary! I could just hear Kayla yelling about the van. Thank goodness you took it at least one way. You're so adventurous doing a day trip on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the video--mostly because I could hear your voice! Keep the posts coming--your blog is where I go when I need a good laugh! So glad I can still get a dose of Kara humor even though you are an ocean away....

    ReplyDelete