Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Turkish Delight?

We just start school here in Germany 6 weeks ago and the kids already have there first fall break. Some friends and I decided to go this club called Lykia World http://www.lykiagroup.com/LykiaWorldOludeniz . The place is in Turkey so I can now cross that off my list of countries to see. We get there and the first two days are just laying by the pool. 7 hours of just laying by the pool, so not used to just laying down and doing nothing. But my girlfriends quickly got me into the habit of doing nothing. They have such a great kids club that I really did not see my kids from 9:30-5. One thing we did not enjoy was the 24 hr stomach flu! My friend's daughters got it first, just 24 hours of madness. We heard about other families dealing with this flu and it was not fun. So going into our last night I thought my kids and I got lucky and did not get it. Well at 2 AM I GOT IT!! 7:30 AM Jenn grabbed my kids and told me to go to the doctor. We had to leave that day at 5 PM. So the doctor told me that morning there is no way the medicine that he normally gives people at the resort
The before 24 hour bug picture
will help me in time to get on an hour bus
ride and then on a plane for 3 1/2 hours. Told me I needed to go to a hospital. I am in Turkey! I am going to go to a hospital? By myself? The doctor told me that he would call

the hospital and make sure someone was waiting for me so that I could get the medicine through an IV drop that would take at least 2 hours. So I kiss my girls goodbye and I get in a taxi for a 30 min drive to the hospital.
Someone was waiting at the front door for me to take me to tourism department where they all spoke English. They told me they they need to feel my belly and do an ultrasound. Why the ultrasound I will never know, I am sure they heard "I have insurance" and they let the fun begin.
So after the ultrasound they take me to my room. The orderly was going to put me in the first room that was available but the head nurse yelled at him in Turkish and
Turkish Hospital with IV
my translator told me "she said to put you in this room (she was pointing to it and it was locked) since it is the nicest room and you are a foreigner" Quality points for being American for a change!
So in they come to take my blood and start my IV. Was not as bad as I thought it would be. In and out in 3 hours, just to go back to the hotel and sleep some more. Had a few more episodes in my hotel room and I was good to go for the rest of the trip. Can't say that for my friend Simone. Her poor little daughter got the bug just as we opened the van door to get out for the airport. She had to change her clothes a few times just waiting for the airplane.
The Germans that were on this plane were so great! Never giving us a bad look for 7 kids between 3 adults or upset sick kids at that.
After the flight the people on the plane were helping us find our toys, pass up our coats that we left behind, grabbing Simone's bag and leading her all the way to the front of the passport line to get her out of the airport as fast as possible. There had to be over 200 people waiting in line to get through pass port checks. Another nice lady told Jenn to follow her with out kids and we went right to the front of the line. Thank you Germany!! She told us German law says you can request to go to the front of the line when traveling with kids. Sometimes you have to love the German laws.
So we are all home safe and sound. Even after this crappy bug, we would all go back again. Great place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment