Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Thursday, February 3, 2011

What I have learned so far in Germany

Have things seemed to have settled down here for me, or am I just getting used to all the craziness? What have I learned in 18 months here in Germany?

I have learned that going 3 km over the speed limit will give you a quality picture of yourself. Of course this picture is never a good picture. You are never smiling, you are never looking at the camera with your "good" side. Before the red flash of taking my picture why don't they flash a yellow to tell me to get ready to smile for my ticket. I would totally smile and do other nice things for the German police if I had notice!!
Just was flashed again last week. And we should all know by now that flashed is not a old naked crazy man running around in his overcoat showing us his goods!
I have to drive here for at least 3 more years I do not know if I will make it before they take my license away from too many infractions.

I have learned to always have a euro on me to go grocery shopping so that I can release a locked grocery cart. I also have many recyclable bags to take with me as you are charged for each paper and plastic bag you use from the store.
I have also learned to go grocery shopping almost every day!! The fridge and freezers here are not big enough to hold a week worth of milk so say the least!
Also if you have more than 20 items...do not try and pack them at light speed as the cashier throws your food down the check out lane at you. Just grab and place your idems in your cart, sort and pack after. This means no more Germans glaring at me while I put my frozen with the cold stuff, the hard stuff at the bottom, soft stuff at the top.

I have learned that after taking German lessons for over a year and a half I still know nothing. I can ask for items from the butcher, the bread counter, and restaurant but that is it. My teacher keeps testing me on saying "my name is, I am from, where are you from" I told her..that is it! I never use that stuff. She said "what do you do when you go to a party?" I told her everyone speaks English and they all ask me in English where I am from.
So now we are only working on making appointments and ordering. Again I will be able to make an appointment...but when the other end starts to speak German and asks me questions it will be all over!

I have learned you never want to be the first car at a red light. They do not put traffic lights ahead of you so that you can see them. They put them on top of you so that you have no idea if you can go or not...unless someone honks their horn, and then you know "get going!" Crazy! Who thought of that idea. I always have to ask my kids in the back of the car...tell me when it turns green.

I have learned to appreciate the medical system here. In the US my MS medicine would take 2 hours to administer by infusion. Here, same medicine 15 min. Love it!
For the most part its no nonsense treatment. The doctor's offices look like something out of a magazine and not a cold sterile environment. At least the ones that I have seen.

Recycling! Glass, paper, plastic, Bio and everything else. It will never be the same going back to America and seeing everything go into one bag. I might have a panic attack!

German who say "Sorry my English is very bad", usually speak perfect English. I always feel bad when they say that. I am in your country, do not be sorry, I am sorry that I cannot speak yours!

So far it has been great! Travel to different countries every few months, drive as fast as I want (in no speed zones), see German's hold hands everywhere they walk. Life has been good here in Germany. Learning to live the German way, but with a smile ; )

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, My wife and I are also living in germany and experiencing the exact same issues. I still havent passed my drivers lisence test yet!!!!! We feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete