Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Stupid, freaking, dumb German driving test!


There are 11 states that do not have a reciprocity agreement between that state and Germany. CT is one of them. Do they not think such a small state has cars? That we do not leave our states for long drives? That we do not know what a stop sign looks like?
This test, the lovely German written test is impossible! I have a 62 page translated book to memorize and a CD ROM with flash cards and practice tests to try and learn all the signs and rules for Gemany! Do these signs look like something we would ever need to know in the states? Come on! How many signs can you have for "no parking" and "where to park" I guess about 10 for Germany.
I took the practice exam about 6 times and kept failing! There are 30 questions. Each question in worth 2, 3, 4 or 5 points. So if you get two questions wrong that are worth 5 points you fail the exam. There is a big section on the effects of hashish. Do German's smoke a lot of hashish? A section on "The risk of being human" talking about keeping your feelings in check if you get angry on the road. How not to get distracted.
Or my favorite is Empty mass of the car + 75 kg/ 2 = permissible towed load
WHAT???
So anyway, I go in today to take my test that I have studied for. Completely stressing out. I have been told it takes people 4 times to pass, but I have talked to people that pass on the first try. So me and 10 other teenagers go into a room of computers to take the test. We can all see our drivers licenses on the teachers desk for him to hand out when we pass the test.
So we all start. One by one the kids get up from their desk, grab their jackets and exit out the door. None of them are taking there license. None of them are passing. So when I am one of the last ones in the room I realize that no one has passed the test! So I press "Mark Test" and the computer tells me
FAILED!!
So the teacher comes up to me and says "sorry too many wrong", really? Is that what the failed in the big red letters mean? So now I have to take the stupied, freaking, dumb German driving test again in another 2 weeks! I have one year to pass it! Lets see if I can do it.

2 comments:

  1. That is so nuts that they have a state-by-state thing with the DMV. Why wouldn't it be yes or no for the states? I mean NO ONE in the States has that many signs for ANYTHING....so why should it matter if you are from CT or UT or CA or whereever!!!

    Good luck on round two, kiddo! I'm rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete