Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Golfing in Germany...could you pass the test?



Ok, I found my clubs and they were all still intact, with no help from the movers. Today would be my first and last time playing golf this year in Germany. Ben and I headed out to Golf Club Idstein-Worsdoft to play with other parents and faculty in a small school tournament. So as we drive to the course it starts to rain...Ben and I look at each other and say "We are not playing in the rain"!
So anyway it stops raining long enough for us to get a cart and get to hole #3! Out come the rain pants, top, hat. Ben called me Grandma...like I care, I am warm! We were playing only because we had to play. Those crazy German's that were not in the tournament were out in full force, walking around that course and enjoying every minute of it! Not us! Get me out of here!!
Between all the rules that were listed on the first tee that I could not understand, having a letter from your home club pro to prove that you could play golf, and having to reserve a cart before you play (since most people walk...highly over rated), it was a cold, cold day...but fun.
For most of you that do not know if you are German and you want to play golf in Germany you need a golfing license.

The Licence Examination

The Platzreife examination comes in two parts:

  • The practical test: tests driving, putting and chipping skills. Golfers must complete an 18-hole round in 108 strokes or fewer with a DGV-certified golf pro
  • The written examination: tests knowledge of the rules of golf and golfing etiquette. A minimum of 24 out of 30 correct answers is required to pass. The test is in German

Good thing this is not in American! No one would play!

2 comments:

  1. You look miserable! But determined. The background looks pretty. This surely cannot be the last time you play golf this year. How will you survive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! The golfing license is hysterical! That is just So German. You must be "qualified!"!! I hope you do get out to play more. Was it a nice course? Where there houses on the course? One of my favorite parts of golf has always been looking at the beautiful houses that line the courses!! :)

    ReplyDelete