Home away from Home

Home away from Home

Friday, September 4, 2009

Life in Germany Thus Far

I was told to do a blog, I guess my posts on Facebook were just not enough for some of my faithful friends! I have been here in Wiesbaden, Germany for 3 weeks now. I have learned that you cannot get a box spring bed, they do not use sheets, and that pillows are 80 x 80 cm. 1/2 the size of my children. German homes for the most part do not have closets...why? German's have clothes? Why do they want to fill their rooms with wardrobes?
I have been living at IKEA..I swear! Everyday I go there to fill my little German home. Every day I come home and have to put something together. Don't even get me started on that. Later.
Another thing that I learned here. When you walk into a room you say good morning (guten Morgen, tag, whatever) to everyone..waiting room at doctor, elevator.
Garbage! Ahhh You have paper, plastic, glass, Bio (banana peels, apple cores, leaves, grass clippings, etc) and then everything else. 5 bins and all on different pick up dates. Ridiculous!
They are very eco friendly here...hence the garbage.
Grocery store. Bring your own bag or you have to buy one there to put your groceries in. Also grocery carts. You cannot just take one from the group. They are all connected by chains. You have to put in a euro to make the key come out and set the cart free. Did not know that as I ask a young girl if I can have her cart as she was finished with it. She looks at me and says something...something that I had no clue about. Then she returns her cart and shows me her euro. ohhh Of course I do not have a euro on me, so I guess no cart. I have no found that the bigger shopping markets give out plastic coins to act as euro to open the carts. I can tell ya this, you never see a stray cart in the parking lots here!
Ok thats it for now, lets see how this looks.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Those are the kind of results I like! See? Now you can post your pictures and tell the whole story for all of your friends and family to read. And they will comment!

    The garbage thing sounds crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blog! Welcome!! I am sending you an invitation to mine...The Draper Dialog. I think Lisa is my only follower!

    The garbage thing is nuts! The whole kitchen is filled up with garbage bins!

    In Sweden you have to pay to get a shopping cart at the grocery store and then they give you the money back if you bring it back when the shopping is over. Do they do that in Germany? I guess it avoids the whole "carts in the parking lot" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE love love that you are blogging. makes it feel like you are closer somehow (yay). :D your comments under 'about me' are my favorite. you are hilarious, even from afar. miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I'll send you mine too! You forgot to mention how stinky the kitchen gets before compost day. I almost threw up last week before school! Never thought one thing I missed would be a garbage disposal.

    ReplyDelete